Monday, June 16, 2008

2 Weeks over


I now know my way around fairly well, but there's still a lot that I need to figure out. Like which buildings are shopping complexes vs. businesses/etc. TV has been pretty weird because almost every other show has Harrison Ford talking about the new Indiana Jones' movie. I've also been addicted to the weird trivia shows featuring comedians like "Brain TOwer".

Friday was another night of Karaoke plus bar crawling. It's best to start off with the karaoke bar because you pay $21 and get 2 hours of as many drinks as you can handle, as opposed to the bars where a cheapo beer is $4-5, and everything else goes up from there. The other students are from all over the world, not just the US. Switzerland, France, Canada, Holland, and Lyle from New Zealand.

I managed to get a haircut by pulling out my driver's license and saying the word for "same". On Saturday night I decided to go out, and took the train into Tenjin. There was a strange group that was scattered between a couple of the cars and it felt really odd. One old guy was wearing a tracksuit, but he didn't look like he jogged at all, and there were also a couple guys with business suits next to him. Further along there were a couple guys probably in their 40s who were wearing stuff that maybe 20year olds would wear, and a huge group of young guys. When then train stopped, this kid who was sitting nearby practically ran across the train away from them. Getting of the train all those people got into a huge circle shaped mob and went off together.

Yesterday I ran into a group of lost Canadians. It was pretty funny because I heard them talking "We need to find someone who speaks English other than us", and one of them turned around and saw me peddle up, and was like "Hey, do you know where we are and where the nearest bar is?". After a short time of establishing where we were, I gave them one of my extra "Fukuoka Now" booklets which has a list of bars, cafes, attractions and a map where all that stuff is.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What kind of building is that? I like the part about the hair cut, that's really funny.

L.Jav said...

I have no idea, I think it was at the mall close to the ocean.